Extra Problems - Stars
- A star has a parallax of 0.015 arc seconds. What is its distance in parsecs?
- A star radiates most strongly at 150 nm. Use Wien's Law to find its
- A binary star pair has an orbital period of 6 years. The stars are
separated by 4 AU. What is their combined mass in Solar units?
- A star has a surface temperature of 24,000 K and a luminosity
10,000 times that of the Sun. What is the star's radius in solar units?
- Calculate the average density of a red giant star given that its mass is
2 solar masses and that its radius is 50 times that of the Sun.
Take the Sun's mass to be 2x1033 grams and its radius to be
- Two stars in orbit around each other complete their revolution in
20 years. They are 10 AU apart. What is their combined mass in solar units?